Well, well, well.
Yup. That is what Hubby and I keep muttering as we wander through our lives right now, trying to contemplate the best plan.
You see, as part of the purchase of our new property, the seller had to perform a ‘well test’. This test of the well makes sure the water is drinkable and also measures the amount of water that can be drawn.
When we made the offer on the house last week, we were told the well ran at 10 gallons per minute. This isn’t superb but it is workable. We have 13 gallons a minute now and we can easily keep a household of 4 people, 11 horses, all the other water uses (washing the car…) as well as irrigating our lawns twice a day. So, 10 gallons a minute would be sufficient, we thought.
Well, well, well. Sadly, the initial well report came back at 3-4 gallons per minute.
HUBBY AND I NEED INFO
I’ve asked our well guy, scoured the internet, called everyone I know on a well system and have been relentless in quizzing all possible sources in order for us to make the best decision here. But we still are not convinced one way or the other. We have yet to speak to anyone who has a 3-4 gallon per minute well who also has horses. (Maybe that is a sign, eh?)
Will 3-4 gallons per minute be OK for a family of 4 and 11 horses? According to the charts – probably. But, what about reality?
What if we want to create a lawn? Will we be able to water plants and a lawn? Probably not.
Paso Robles has hot, dry summers with few shade trees for the horses… or us… we’ll need extra water.
Does a low producing well really cost more in electricity to fill the tank or is that measured in the size of the pipe?
What are the pitfalls we haven’t considered?
(I am contacting the well drillers in that area.)
Once we gather all the information and receive the final well report, we have to make a proposal to the seller.
Our options are:
A) Ask the seller to drill a new well – which he doesn’t have to since the County is OK with 2.5 gpm. (We wonder who will purchase this large property with such a small well… are we crazy or opportunists?)
b) Ask the seller to lower the price since we will need a second well
c) Buy it and deal with it later should the water become an issue
d) Walk away.
We wonder if this property was too good to be true, or if it is still a gem that just needs polishing.
We are both a bit broken-hearted. But, as I said to Hubby, this was our third offer and it was a better property than #1 and #2. So, perhaps #4 is the winner.
Or, do we hang onto this rare find and fight to figure out a plan?…
IF ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH A 3-4gpm WELL ON AN 80 ACRE PROPERTY WITH A LARGE HOLDING TANK, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Are there well-people in your family or do you own a drilling company? I will seriously read every and all comments. Or, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
CROSSING FINGERS… I wish I knew what to do.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.