Three weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought the channels, lumber and hardware to put up one windwall each in two of the shelters.
I know this is a simple concept… but I am very pleased with the outcome.
The shelters I purchased are very adaptable. You can put up no walls, one wall, two, three, four… or you can put in gates or panels… divide them or not… lots of variations. They are kinda like leggos. You can add on and on and on.
So, this year, I decided was the year of the winter wind walls. The good part is that the steel channel for the wood to sit were very reasonably priced (compared to the wood channels in my barn in Grass Valley). The bad part is that if you want to remove the wood in the summer, the channels are sharp and would have to be wrapped.
Anyway, Hubby did the work as a present to me, which was wonderful. No labor charges!
IT GETS EASIER AFTER YOU PUT UP ONE…
It took Hubby most of the day to figure out the best way to do the first wall in Annie’s shelter. We used treated wood for the lower panels and then used regular 12″ for the stacking boards.
The next day, Finn’s wall went up really fast!
IT RAINED TWO DAYS LATER… HARD.
It rained two days later, for a couple of days. As you can see, the wind wall made a huge difference in the mud in the shelters. Not having mud is HUGE. The horses shuffle the mud around and it creates mountains of clay/sand once it dried – and they are ankle killers and trip hazards because they are HARD once they dry.
To me, this little thing, a wall, made a huge difference. The other shelters are shaped directed long-wise, so the wind wall would have to be 20′ – and I need to put in a post to hold the middle. So those are bigger jobs. Next year!
DECEMBER BUCKET FUND – THE MIGHTY TRIO who broke free from their hidden hell! To read their story, click here. To donate (please and thank you!), click here!